- Woodland, nature reserve or natural area
- Grottoes and caves
- Museum or Interpretation Centre
- Education to nature
Just 6 km from Mons, the Neolithic flint mines of Spiennes or SILEX'S, listed by UNESCO, are well worth a visit...
Dotted with thousands of mine shafts, the site extends over 100 acres: this is one of the oldest and largest centres for the extraction of flint in Europe.
There is proof of human life in the area from the Palaeolithic period. The flint mines themselves were dug during the Neolithic period, between 4200 and 2500 BC. A few have been fully excavated by archaeologists and can be visited.
SILEX'S, the interpretive centre at the Neolithic flint mines of Spiennes, presents the many facets of this internationally renowned archaeological site.
- enjoy walks and bike rides in the nearby Natur 2000 area
- visit the museum (complete with fun activities for the little ones)
- meet archaeologists and visit the excavation site during special weekends
- descend into a real Neolithic flint mine, 9 metres underground.
- Only 5,500 persons are allowed down these Neolithic flint mines a year to preserve the site as is.
- Please phone beforehand to book your visit.
VISITWallonia.be Advantage Pass
Your Advantage Pass
Reduced rate instead of full rate
Wallonia has developped , a network gathering sites offering facilitie and/or services dedicted to Travellers with special needs. Click here to see the details for SILEX'S Mons.
Guide available/groups - EN - ES - FR - NL - Guide available/individuals - EN - FR - NL