- Sport and relaxation
- Walking or hiking
A circuit with numerous viewpoints in a magnificent wild landscape! At every turn of this short route, you will be surprised by picture-perfect views.
Start: parking by the Robertville dam
Markings: green rectangles
You can download the interactive map, detailed itinerary and gpx file here.
Between the castle and the dam
Shortly after the start, you’ll be treated to a breathtaking view of Reinhardstein castle (also known as Metternich castle), which stands on the high ground above the Warche valley. This imposing edifice, unique in Belgium, was built in 1354 for Count Wenzel of Luxembourg by his vassal, Reinhard de Waimes. It remained the property of the Count of Nassau until 1550, before being passed through marriage to Metternich. Having been destroyed, the castle was reconstructed from 1969 using historical data. A collection of arms, tapestries, religious vestments and lifesize sculptures add to the historical significance of the place.
Further along the trail, the landscape develops some steep rock formations. The ‘Nez Napoléon’ is a jutting rock formation overshadowing the Warche valley. From there, the route proceeds into the valley along the course of a bubbling, wild river.
If you’re tempted by a short detour, you can go and take a look at the highest waterfall in Belgium, which falls beside Reinhardstein castle into the Warch valley from a height of 60 metres. Finally, you pass the dam of Lac du Robertville.
Anything else? Oh yes! ... If these 6 kilometres are not enough to please you, you can lengthen the ramble by following the regional GR 56 to cross the Bayehon valley and reach the highest point in Belgium, the Signal de Botrange (694 metres) in the Hautes Fagnes and also experience the natural beauty of these unique peat moors.
Route/Points of Interest
The circuit starts at the parking area (S) behind the dam.
- From there the signs (green rectangles) guide you to a peaceful pine forest after going past a gate. In its early stages, the twisting path along the escarpment gives you clear views of Reinhardstein castle (1).
- At the next fork, a steep path climbs to the right. (The route is waymarked on the left, although the two paths intersect a little later.)
- At the intersection near the crossing of the stream (which possibly dries up in summer), if you fancy a small detour, make a right turn (green diamond sign) to take a look at the 60-metre waterfall, which flows into the valley directly below the castle (2).
- The route to the left (green rectangle) leads you up to the edge of the forest. Turn right, then take the forest track that returns to the wood to arrive at the rock formation known as the Nez du Napoléon.
- At the next fork, keep left, then turn sharply right and cross a pine wood scattered with rocks to enter the Warche valley.
- Having arrived at the riverbank the trail turns left, then passes over a bridge (3) before turning right towards a rest area.
- From there a lateral arm passes over a second bridge, then follows the river upstream.
- At the next junction, leave the river, head to the left and then climb up the slope to leave the valley. Again keep to the right, and you’ll soon see Reinhardstein castle (4), which can be visited at the weekend (only with a guide).
- The route crosses the access road to the castle and leads over a bridge to a stony path at the back of the hill.
- There, first take a path to the left, then a forest track towards the Robertville dam. Once you pass the dam, you’re back where you started.
Visit the fascinating Reinhardstein castle. The waterfall, nearby, is the highest in Belgium. Don't miss the Lake of Robertville
In the downloadable brochure below, we have selected one of the best walks per province: natural gems, family-friendly paths, memorable views along the way, trails sprinkled with history… One even will introduce you to the iconic abbey beers.
Also in the area:
- Eastern Valley Activities
- L'Atelier de la Truite d'Ondenva: a fishing farm in Waimes
- Cross-country skiing | Maison du Parc de Botrange
- Mount Rigi cross country ski slopes in Waimes
- Meublé de Vacances à Waimes | Christiana
- La Trouvaille: a guesthouse in Waimes
- Maison d'hôtes Le Jeune Marronnier à Waimes
- Belle Vue camping
- The Anderegg camping site
- Gîte rural Ol'Backaus à Waimes
Download our Walker's Guide to Wallonia
Walking in Wallonia