Choose your country/language to continue your visit
Did you know Belgium has one of the highest density of castles per square kilometer in the world? There are hundreds in Wallonia alone, from medieval fortresses to more leisure-oriented châteaux. Such a lovely way to travel through centuries....
Fancy visiting a few during your stay? Have a look at ideas for fantastic castle days out.
- Modave Castle and its exceptional gardens© WBT-Dominik KetzModave
Modave Castle and its exceptional gardensThe Modave castle, listed as major cultural heritage of Wallonia, is well worth the detour. Built on a rocky hill in the province of Liège, it is said to date back to the Middle Ages.
- Château de Chimay castle: an interactive and historical visit© WBT - Bruno D'AlimonteChimay
Château de Chimay castle: an interactive and historical visitThis superb castle, more than a 1,000 years old, is near the Scourmont abbey which makes the Trappist Chimay beer.
- Château de Bioul | Vineyards near Namur, Wallonia© Château de Bioul - Olivier PolletBioul
Château de Bioul | Vineyards near Namur, WalloniaThe Château de Bioul is proud of an 11 hectares vineyard, created by 2 passionate winemakers. Why not stop by to learn more about their skills and passion?
- The Château de Seneffe, its estate and its Silverware Museum© Domaine de Seneffe asbl - Francis VaubanSeneffe
The Château de Seneffe, its estate and its Silverware MuseumThe Château de Seneffe estate and its Museum feature one of Belgium's most important silverware collections.
- Annevoie water gardens | Meuse Valley© WBT - J.P. RemyAnnevoie-Rouillon
Annevoie water gardens | Meuse ValleyDiscover these amazing gardens, created 250 years ago and considered one of Wallonia's cultural treasures. How could anyone resist taking a stroll between the fountains, waterfalls, ponds and stunning combination of French, Italian and English style gardens?
- Reinhardstein castle | Ovifat© WBT - S. WittenbolOvifat
Reinhardstein castle | OvifatNestled in the eastern townships of the Haute s Fagnes, this castle from the 14th century overlooks Ovifat from the top of its peak.
- The Solvay Estate | La Hulpe© WBT - Denis ErroyauxLa Hulpe
The Solvay Estate | La HulpeThe Solvay Estate in La Hulpe, listed as "Exceptional cultural site in Wallonia", features part of the Sonian Forest and the Château de La Hulpe.
- Bouillon castle: a medieval gem in Wallonia© WBT - David SamynBouillon
Bouillon castle: a medieval gem in WalloniaBuilt on three rock pitons overlooking the Semois river, the Bouillon Castle is a remarkable monument in the province of Luxembourg, retracing almost a thousand years of history and military architecture.
- Château de Franchimont: a medieval fortress in Theux© B. LorquetTheux
Château de Franchimont: a medieval fortress in TheuxThe Château de Franchimont is an 11th-century medieval fortress, built on a rocky peak dominating three valleys north of the Ardennes, about 8 km from Spa.
- The Fort de Logne castle and museum: a medieval day in Vieuxville© Steve CollinVieuxville
The Fort de Logne castle and museum: a medieval day in VieuxvilleLocated within easy reach of Durbuy, the castle and museum of Logne are sure to delight the family.
- Freÿr-sur-Meuse castle and its gardens (Hastière)© A. B. de L.Hastière
Freÿr-sur-Meuse castle and its gardens (Hastière)Freÿr sur Meuse, a Renaissance castle with stunning gardens, is part of Wallonia's protected architectural heritage.
- Ruins of La Roche-en-Ardenne castle© WBT - Denis ErroyauxLa Roche-en-Ardenne
Ruins of La Roche-en-Ardenne castleOverlooking the city and the Ourthe river, at the very heart of nature, this IXth century castle makes La Roche the gem of the Ardenne and the Luxembourg province. A wonderful journey to medieval times awaits...
- Château de Louvignies© Chateau de LouvigniesChaussée-Notre-Dame-Louvignies
Château de LouvigniesSet in the countryside, only a few kilometres from Soignies in the province of Hainaut, the Château de Louvignies awaits.
- The castle of Lavaux-Sainte-Anne, nature and cultural heritage in Rochefort© A. PetitLavaux-Sainte-Anne
The castle of Lavaux-Sainte-Anne, nature and cultural heritage in RochefortThe castle of Lavaux-Saint-Anne, its three museums, its park and gardens in the province of Namur are sure to enchant you. This magnificent castle on the plain of Wallonia is a mere 16 km from Rochefort, 23 from the French border.
- Château d'Hélécine | Walloon Brabant region© Le Brabant WallonHélécine
Château d'Hélécine | Walloon Brabant regionHalfway between Brussels and Liège, this estate is home to an 18th century Neoclassical castle and a stunning park.
- The Château de Beloeil estate© WBT - J.P. RemyBeloeil
The Château de Beloeil estateBuilt in the 14th century, this massive turreted chateau is surrounded by a wide moat connected to a series of lakes and channels which wind through one of the largest and most ornate French-style gardens in Belgium.
- Château de Celles - Vêves© FT Province de NamurHouyet
Château de Celles - VêvesFormer kingdom of Pépin de Herstal in the VIIIth century, castle of the Beaufort lords (who reconstructed it in 1410) then home to their descendants...
- Château de Jehay | Amay© JP Rolin Province de LiegeAmay
Château de Jehay | AmayLocated in the province of Liège, the Château de Jehay offers a remarkable architecture, unique in Europe. This impressive historical building, surrounded by moats, seems to appear as if by magic as you walk past the forest.
- Harzé castle and its Milling and Baking Museum© Steve CollinHarzé
Harzé castle and its Milling and Baking MuseumThe Milling and Bakery Museum will take you through the extraordinary adventure of harvesting grain, processing flour with old mills and bread making.
- Château des Princes de Ligne a Antoing© Ville d'AntoingAntoing
Château des Princes de Ligne a AntoingVisit the Castle of the Princes of Antoing Line, A magnificent neo-Gothic house where you can also see the wall of enclosure and the bolewerk (fortified bastion).
- The Château de l'Avouerie d'Anthisnes, for a historical visit and its Beer and Pékèt Museum© Avouerie d'Anthisnes asblAnthisnes
The Château de l'Avouerie d'Anthisnes, for a historical visit and its Beer and Pékèt MuseumThe Château de l’Avouerie d’Anthisnes, in the province of Liège, welcomes you for a gourmet and historical visit.
- Château d'Attre© © CGT - A. SiquetBrugelette
Château d'AttreA must-see historical site located near the city of Ath (Province of Hainaut), the château d'Attre is one of the most authentic witnesses of the second half of the 18th century in Belgium. Its 17 hectares estate, lined by the Dendre river, is quite stunning.
- Château de Moha (Province of Liège)© Château féodal de MohaMoha
Château de Moha (Province of Liège)This stunning castle was set on a rocky spur at the edge of the village.
- Poilvache medieval ruins© Christian GenardYvoir
Poilvache medieval ruinsLocated just a few kilometres from Dinant, the Poilvache ruins overlook the Meuse river and the charming village of Houx. These remains, which date from the 13th and 15th century, are well worth stopping by and are listed as exceptional cultural heritage of Wallonia.
- The château de la petite Flémalle and its park© O.T. Flémalle - Marlène DelliseFlémalle
The château de la petite Flémalle and its parkOn your way to visit the Ardent city, why not stop in Flémalle and visit its castle and park? They won't fail to delight you.
- Château de Trazegnies© Charleroi Tourisme Gina SantinTrazegnies
Château de TrazegniesLocated between Mons and Namur, the Château de Trazegnies, dating back to the XIth century, is a precious example of Belgian feudal architecture.
- The Château d'Havré and its gardens | Mons© Les Amis du Château d’Havré - Nicole DarvilleMons
The Château d'Havré and its gardens | MonsThe Château d'Havré is a beautiful, ancient building built just on the outskirts of Mons, in Belgium.
- Corroy-le-Château medieval castle© FTPN - Christian GenardCorroy-Le-Château
Corroy-le-Château medieval castleBuilt around 1270 by Count Philippe de Vianden, this castle in the plains of Wallonia, in perfect condition, is one of the most beautiful examples...
- Château de Waroux© Commune d’AnsAlleur
Château de WarouxThe Château de Waroux, property of the commune of Ans, is easy recognisable by its sleek and elegant spire. The site, at the entrance of the region of...
- The ruins of the fortress of Montaigle© ftpn - Christian GenardOnhaye
The ruins of the fortress of MontaigleThe Montaigle Located in Falaen, at the confluence of the Flavion and Molignée, the ruins of the Montaigle castle will seduce the poet in you...castle, which used to the home to a count in the 14th century, is built on a rocky spur.
- Château de Petit-Leez© Château de Petit-LeezGrand-Leez
Château de Petit-LeezBuilt in the 17th century, enlarged and slightly modified in the 18th and 19th centuries, this farmhouse testifies to Mosan architecture which once had around a square courtyard the buildings constructed of traditional materials such as brick, stone blue and slate.
- The park of the Enghien castle, an exceptional place to stroll through© Office du Tourisme d’EnghienEnghien
The park of the Enghien castle, an exceptional place to stroll throughThe medieval city of Enghien, at the edge of the Eastern part of the Hainaut region, is proud of superb 182 hectares park.
- The ruins of the Crèvecoeur castle in Dinant© Blandine ColletteDinant
The ruins of the Crèvecoeur castle in DinantThe ruins of the Crèvecoeur castle stand beautifully on a rocky outcrop overlooking the tow of Bouvignes. Visitors will have a splendid view on the Meuse valley from there.
- The medieval ruins of Herbeumont castle© WBT - Caroline RaseHerbeumont
The medieval ruins of Herbeumont castleBuilt on top of a rocky outcrop overlooking the village and the Semois Valley, the medieval ruins of Herbeumont castle offer a splendid panorama of the river and its meanders.
- Boussu castle, its park and museum | Province of Hainaut© Utku PekliBoussu
Boussu castle, its park and museum | Province of HainautBuilt in the 16th century by Jacques du Broeucq, Boussu Castle offers a visit rich in cutural and nature gems.
- Medieval life at the Ecaussinnes-Lalaing Castle© WBT - Caroline RaseEcaussinnes-Lalaing
Medieval life at the Ecaussinnes-Lalaing CastleSituated between Nivelles and La Louvière, the Ecaussinnes-Lalaing Castle proposes visits and entertainment in an authentic medieval décor.
- Burg-Reuland castle© ostbelgien.eu – Dominik KetzBurg-Reuland
Burg-Reuland castleVisit one of the largest and most beautiful fortresses in the Ardenne, the castle of Reuland, nestled in an exceptional green setting. Take a stroll through the ruins and the renovated 9th century building. Even Emperor Charlemagne stayed there.
- Raeren castle and its ceramics museum© Töpfereimuseum Raeren - Christian Charlier, XACT ProductionRaeren
Raeren castle and its ceramics museumThis unique collection features more than 2000 pieces covers 500 years of Rhenish and contemporary ceramics.
- Chateau Comtal de Rochefort© Chateau Comtal RochefortRochefort
Chateau Comtal de RochefortRochefort Castle was once the largest castle in the Famenne, today it's an important historical and archeological site. Today, you can visit with guided walks and fun activities for children.
- Château du Fosteau |Thuin© CGT - Arnaud SiquetThuin
Château du Fosteau |ThuinAt the peak of an undulation towering above the surrounding meadows, can be seen the silhouette of the Château de Fosteau. This imposing 14th-century fortified manor house is still armed with its seven elegant towers.